Joint health may not be the sexiest topic in physical training, but if you’re an athlete, you can’t afford to ignore it.
The health of your joints has a huge impact on your athletic performance. Whether you play golf, tennis or baseball, for example, your joints allow your body to move freely and enable a steady follow through. That repetitive motion every time you’re up at bat, defending your court or playing another hole, can take a toll on your body if your joints aren’t cared for properly.
Ensuring the flexibility of your joints also helps prevent injury and enables a more powerful, consistent swing. Take a look at all the joints involved in a golf swing, for example:
The core muscles are important for a proper swing plane. They control your rotation, balance and power.1 Strengthening the core helps prevent injury.
Your back helps control the back swing and follow through of the club. Tight muscles can lead to a shorter, less uniform back swing and the inability to follow through.2
The shoulders create the speed of the club through the ball while keeping it under control. For increased control, it’s important to strengthen your rotator cuff.2
LEGS & HIPS
Legs ensure solid posture is kept intact through the swing. Strong hamstrings keep balance and help prevent lower back injury. Quadriceps transfer power through the ball with the turn of the hips. 2
FOREARM / TRICEPS
Strong forearms and triceps are vital to the force and power of your swing at impact. Forearms help keep your wrist flat during impact and help you during rough and bad lies.2
Just like hamstrings, glutes help you maintain proper posture throughout your golf swing.1 Activating your glutes helps to stabilize the pelvis and perform your swing consistently.
Six Nutrients That Support Joint Health
Caring for your joints requires the right combination of healthy habits, exercise and supportive nutrients. Consider adding these popular athletic supplements to your routine.
TYPE II COLLAGEN
Type II Collagen supports mobility, increases flexibility, helps the body rebuild joint cartilage and maintains knee joint function.*
An essential amino acid found naturally in the body. L-Glutamine plays a key role in muscle repair and recovery after exercise.*
Boswellia, Biblical frankincense, is an ancient botanical herb used in Ayurvedic medicine. It promotes a healthy inflammation response.*
This constituent of cartilage, provides structure and holds water and nutrients to support healthy joint function.*
An ancient spice used in Indian and Chinese medicine to promote a healthy inflammatory response.*
Vitamin C helps protect the immune system, support heart health and eye health.*
WE RECOMMEND: OPTIM NUTRITION JOINT FORMULA SPORT
Optim® Joint Sport Formula is designed to provide comfort for today’s athletes of all types. Target nutrients: Type II Collagen, Boswellia, Turmeric, L-Glutamine, Enzyme blend and Optim-C buffered Vitamin C help to improve joint comfort, promote a healthy inflammation response and help muscle recovery*. Inside two daily capsules, you’ll find:
- Type II Collagen (UC II®) 40 mg: Clinically tested UC-II® contains undenatured type II collagen that is proven to be more than twice as effective as glucosamine + chondroitin.3 UC-II® contains type II collagen that supports mobility, increases flexibility, helps rebuild joint cartilage and maintains knee joint function.*
- Boswellia: Boswellia, Biblical frankincense, is an ancient botanical herb used in Ayurvedic medicine. It promotes a healthy inflammation response.*
- Turmeric: An ancient spice used traditionally used in Indian and Chinese medicine to promote a healthy inflammatory response.*
- L-Glutamine: An essential amino acid found naturally in the body. L-Glutamine plays a key role in muscle repair and recovery after exercise.*
- Enzyme Blend: A proprietary blend of four important enzymes to help support muscle relief.*
- Optim-C buffered Vitamin C: Optim-C is 1200 mg. of buffered, long-lasting Vitamin C with Alpha Lipoic Acid. Vitamin C is found in fruits and vegetables and is not produced or stored by the body. It must be obtained through the diet or taken as a dietary supplement. Research suggests that Vitamin C helps protect the immune system, support heart health and eye health.*
3. Crowley DC, Lau FC, Sharma P, Evans M, Guthrie N, Bagchi M, Bagchi D, Dey DK, Raychaudhuri SP. Safety and efficacy of undenatured type II collagen in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a clinical trial. Int J Med Sci 2009; 6(6):312-321. doi:10.7150/ijms.6.312. Available from http://www.medsci.org/v06p0312.htm