Are meal replacement shakes healthy? First, let’s not get meal replacement shakes confused with protein shakes. Protein shakes are primarily protein based whereas meal replacement shakes have proportioned amounts of protein, carbs, fats and fiber. Now that we’ve established the difference between the two, let’s talk about meal replacement shake benefits:
Meal Replacement Shake Benefits
- Meal replacement shakes provide more protein to the average American Diet.
- They are typically balanced with the right portions of protein, carbohydrate, and fat at the appropriate calorie level.
- Shakes are also really quick, portable and convenient and usually low in calories.
- They’re an easy way to help you work towards weight management.
- They can also help fill nutritional gaps you may not be getting through your typical diet.
That said, not all meal replacement shakes are created equal. Not every meal replacement shake is well balanced. For example, there are some popular meal replacements that you are all familiar with that are packed with carbs. I would recommend avoiding these products that are loaded with carbs and sugar and making sure you stick to the meal replacement shakes with a good ration of protein, carbs and fat.
Meal Replacement Shakes Can Help With Your Health Goals
As mentioned earlier, meal replacement shakes are also a fast and easy, and typically low calorie way to stay on track. This means they can help you work toward weight loss or weight maintenance goals. It is also great for someone who has trouble eating in general….I know many women who do not eat enough and this is a recipe for disaster. Not eating will slow down metabolism and push you further away from your goals.
So if you decided to give a meal replacement a try, make sure you read the nutrition labels and find one that suits your goals and needs!
Good luck and thank you for reading!