Many people have sugar cravings; I even have them from time to time. Many of my clients complain of cravings for sweets after dinner or throughout the day.
What Causes Sugar Cravings?
The cause of sugar cravings can vary widely, but chief among them are hormonal imbalances of insulin and serotonin, unhealthy dieting, adrenal fatigue, eating disorders, and even PMS.
How To Conquer Sugar Cravings
Here are some of my beliefs as to how to conquer or stop these cravings. This is based off experience with the imbalances I have had through the years but also the experience I have had working with hundreds of women.
- Try eating more protein. Protein will help to fill you up. Most people don’t get enough protein and majority of most people’s diet is carb-based. If we increase our protein intake, it could definitely help in craving sugar.
- Replace sweets and sugar with fruits. Are sugars in fruit the same as table sugar and sweets? Nope. The sugars in fruits are digested differently than normal table sugar or sugar in candy and processed foods. Fruits contain fiber, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and good phytonutrients, all of which help counteract the bad metabolic effects of fructose and glucose. The fiber in fruit also slows the absorption of the sugars so you don't get as high of a sugar rush (and as low of a crash.)
- Go for quality, not quantity. Eat a small piece of 70% dark chocolate instead of a candy bar. Have a small scoop of gourmet ice cream instead of an entire bowl of light ice cream. The treat will be more satisfying and you'll be consuming less sugar in the long run.
- Get rid of temptation. If you know you can’t resist sugar at certain times then get it out of the pantry. Know your habits…if it is not in the house then you are less likely to eat it.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners. Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause intense cravings for sweets.
Good luck and remember – out of sight, out of mind! The most important thing to remember is will power and only you can control what you put in your mouth!