Summer usually means more time spent outdoors. From protecting your skin from the heat and harmful rays to how to play it safe and wear protective clothes, there are simple ways to make sure you stay healthy this summer.
1. Protect Your Skin
It’s important not to leave the sunscreen at home when going outside.
- Use sprays: They’re quick to apply. Just don’t spray directly on the face — use a lotion or spray into your hands, then apply. Here are tips on how to apply sunscreen to your back by yourself.
- Apply well — and reapply: The problem with sunscreen is that most people apply one-quarter of the amount they should. It’s important to reapply regularly, especially when outside for extended periods of time.
Pay attention to SPF: Most docs recommend at least an SPF
30. It’s important to note that SPF is an exponential number; so if you only apply a quarter of the amount you’re supposed to use, you’re not getting full protection.
2. Play it Safe
Summer is the perfect time for outdoor activity, but heat exhaustion, heat illness, and heat stroke can be serious concerns. Parents and children should drink plenty of water. Play outdoors before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m. depending on where you live; and stay in the shade when it’s very hot and humid to limit time in direct sunlight.
Here are some ideas on how families can make fitness a fun part of summer vacation:
- Start the day with something active: Get up and go for a 15- to 30-minute walk in the morning, or ride bikes to the local park and start the day with breakfast outside.
- Set goals: Make a family goal to get active together for a certain amount of time per week or month, or explore all the parks in the city.
- Team up with another family: Get together with another family and have an outdoor scavenger hunt.
- Use healthy rewards for encouragement: Create a summer fitness activity board that includes being active. Reward kids with something that keeps them active such as a bell for their bike, a play date, sidewalk chalk, a trip to the zoo or movies, or let them pick their favorite fruit or veggie from the store.
The point is to be active throughout the day and enjoy the outdoors as much as possible
3. Clothes that Protect
The good news is that with the proper preparation, you can be active in the summer heat without overheating.
When you’re at rest, your body keeps cool by radiating heat into the surrounding environment. When you’re active, your body creates extra heat. To get rid of the extra heat, your body pumps more blood to the surface of your skin. This is also why your face gets red when you’re active.
Your body gets rid of the extra heat by sweating. Sweat evaporates off your skin, which helps to cool your body. Sweat is the most important way your body keeps you cool when you’re active.
Clothes work against your body’s cooling systems. They block the radiating heat that’s trying to leave your body. Fortunately, some clothes make it easier to stay cool.
Here are some tips:
- Bring out the whites and pastels. Light-colored fabrics reflect the sun’s rays.
- Avoid layers and tight-fitting clothing. They trap heat close to your body.
- Wear lightweight, breathable fabrics such as cotton, linen and synthetics. Research has shown that cotton is just as good as synthetics at keeping us cool.
- Keep wearing clothes that have gotten wet.Whether your clothes are wet from sweat, keep wearing them while you’re in the heat. The sweat or water will evaporate and help to keep you cool.
Thank you so much for reading and remember to protect yourself!
Popular Hi-Health Sun Care Products
Alba Botanica Kids Sunscreen Spray Lotion SPF 40
Try this hypoallergenic, very water resistant sunscreen for kids. It comes recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
Kiss My Face Oat Protein Sunscreen - SPF 30
This water-resistant sunscreen is made with oat protein and betaglucans that moisturizer and help fight the signs of aging. It is enriched with Hydresia, an oleosome from safflower for improved moisture and easy rub in. Oat Beta Glucan has been clinically proven to reduce burn cells by 80%.
Kiss My Face Suncare Sports Spray SPF50
Created for active people, this clear, sweat and water-resistant spray goes on quickly and dries in seconds. Sprays on easily and evenly and has broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection.