Perhaps you’ve heard it said that your eyes are the window to the soul. It’s more accurate to say that they are a window to your body’s health! Ocular nutrition such as Omega 3s, Lutein, Astaxanthin and Bilberry, provide a good base to help keep your eyes healthy. Eye exams can also help with early diagnosis of potentially serious illnesses.
- Blood-clotting disorders can be detected by the swelling of the optic nerve in the eye.
- High cholesterol can be detected when optometrists see deposits on the cornea.
- Autoimmune diseases such as MS, Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis and Sjogren’s syndrome can be associated with optic nerve inflammation.
- Diabetes can cause sudden changes in vision, making it hard to see far or near. If this symptom is combined with frequent thirst and urination, it may be a sign of diabetes.
- High blood pressure, which can cause hypertension, is often detected by seeing leaky retinal blood vessels in the back of the eye.
Add ocular nutrition supplements to your diet and make sure to get your optometrist recommended yearly eye exam.