Save big during our ANCIENT NUTRITION Sale! »

Athletic Training for The Iron Horse Cycling Race

Athletic Training for The Iron Horse Cycling Race

, by Cheri Rifkin, 1 min reading time


As March bounces along with basketball on the radar, I wanted to point out that it is Athletic Training Month, as well! My athletic training for the Iron Horse Cycling Race started months ago with spin classes and an occasional outside ride when temps rose above freezing.

There is no doubt when spring arrives in the mountains of Colorado. Our March “madness” includes the crazy wind that swirls from all directions causing crosswinds, headwinds and a rare tailwind. This year I finally “bit the bullet” and bought cold weather gear so that there can be no more excuses for missing a ride due to colder temperatures. Last week we started our ride in 34 degrees, rising to a high of 42! Riding up steep grades is a good thing for strength and to get warm, but what (or who) goes up…must come down. Riding downhill at speeds of 30-50 mph can get a bit chilly for the fingers and toes.

With nine weeks to go until race day, there are no more excuses to keep me inside. A softshell jacket, long fleece-lined cycling pants, headband and shoe covers are a must. Today though, with winds gusting over 40, I will stay inside and be safe.

Do whatever it takes to continue your training and stick with it! Most resolutions made back in January have become a distant memory as statistics show that only 8% of resolutions are kept and become a reality.

Follow a training plan, fuel your body with healthy food, and supplement with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes, to replenish those lost through exercise. Give yourself a healthy reward for sticking with it!

Try to follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I focus on eating whole foods, vegetables, lean protein and nothing processed. The other 20% of the time, I can relax and indulge in something decadent or out of my norm. This encourages building a lifestyle of eating healthy and not having to be perfect. Balance is the key and makes it easier to live (and eat) without guilt!


Blog posts


Forgot your password?

Don't have an account yet?
Create account