As we progress through life, we witness countless sights that broaden our perspectives and color our memories. Our visual system, however, is delicate, and eyesight often starts to decline in individuals over the age of 50. Even so, not all changes are normal.
Of particular concern is age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which afflicts approximately 15 million Americans and is a leading cause of blindness. AMD comes in two forms: dry and wet. The milder dry form is more common; however, much like how high blood pressure carries health consequences overtime, so too does failing to control AMD. If left unchecked, mild symptoms can give way to the more severe wet form, which can blur, distort, and completely degrade a person’s central field of vision.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin
Two landmark NIH funded clinical studies—Age Related Eye-Disease Study (AREDS, 2001) and AREDS2 (2012)—revealed the critical role that nutrition plays in the development of AMD. These studies are notable in that they are the largest human clinical trials to evaluate the relationship between lutein and zeaxanthin to AMD. It was found that a higher intake of bioavailable lutein and zeaxanthin was associated with a reduced risk of progression from the intermediate to the advanced stages of AMD by as much as 35%.
Lutein and zeaxanthin—which are potent carotenoids primarily found in leafy green vegetables, such as kale, spinach, broccoli and collards—are thought to protect against AMD by reducing oxidative and photo-oxidative stress. Most people, however, do not get an adequate amount of lutein and zeaxanthin in their diet. For people who lack these nutrients, or who are experiencing the early stages of AMD, it is advisable to supplement with lutein and zeaxanthin.
Hi-Health AREDS2+ Formula was developed by leading eye physicians based on cutting edge, scientific discoveries. The role that nutrition plays in eye health has increasingly come into focus over the past couple of decades. We have taken key insights from peer-reviewed and accredited research to develop a superior product aimed at supporting visual functioning over a lifetime.*
Every ingredient in Hi-Health AREDS2+ Formula serves a purpose. We included the precise ratio of 10:2 of lutein to zeaxanthin, which has been clinically shown to be ideal by the AREDS studies. Building on this solid foundation is the incorporation of the powerful antioxidants Vitamin C and E along with Selenium to increase absorption, as well as the minerals Zinc and Copper, which were part of the original AREDS formula. Our formula goes beyond by adding the reductive amino acid L-Glutathione, which decreases in the eye with age. This is problematic since L-Glutathione protects the eye against reactive oxygen species and helps to sustain the hydration and transparency of the cornea (lens), allowing us to properly form images on the retina and see clearly.
Maintaining optimum eyesight, particularly as we age, requires a unique matrix of essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. It’s important not to overlook the critical role nutrition plays in sustaining eye health overtime. We know the value of being able to see clearly at every stage in life. That is why we have put research and care into creating evidence-based, high quality nutritional products.
- AREDS and AREDS2 are registered trademarks of The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Jun 16, 2016.
- Developed to promote age-related eye health as investigated in the NIH (National Institute of Health) AREDS2 clinical trials.
- Developed by eye doctors for patients with age-related macular degeneration.
- Contains levels of lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin C & E, copper and zinc found to reduce risk age-related macular disease progression in the AREDS & AREDS2 studies.
- The latest clinical research demonstrates lutein and zeaxanthin in a 10:2 ratio as found in Hi-Health's formula supports visual performance.
- The addition of L-Glutathione supports vision by augmenting corneal hydration and transparency. Note: L-Glutathione decreases with age.
- Selenium has been added to support the absorption of Vitamin E, an important antioxidant for eye health.
- Manufactured in the USA in a NSF, cGMP certified facility to the highest quality standards.
Suggested Use: Take 2 softgels daily with a meal. For best results, take one in the morning and one in the evening with meals.
Caution: Consult a healthcare professional if you are pregnant/nursing, taking any medication or have a medical condition.
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep out of reach of children. Do not use if seal is broken.